Year of Giving

This year is marked as Year of Giving by the UAE’s President His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan to make a difference in the lives of people around us. UAE cabinate's website (https://uaecabinet.ae/en/year-of-giving) quoted, 'Giving is not limited to monetary donation, it is rather the difference we make in someone's life, in a society or in a Nation'. There are various ways to make a difference and we would elaborate on one of the ways to contribute to this initiative.
Instead of arranging extravagant birthday party me & my friend decided to celebrate her daughter’s birthday with ‘Senses’ to mark our first Giving of the year. Senses is a residential and day care facility for special needs, I had heard about Senses but never been there. So picked my camera, few packets of chips to munch with children. We drove via Jumeirah road and it took us around 30 mins to reach, however it would take around 20 minutes via Shaikh Zayed Road from Burdubai.
 
As soon as we reached, I could feel my excitement level developing as I was going to meet these people for the first time. I started adjusting the camera with the lights and took me sometime to realize what was happening around. It was big hall in the entrance, good  to accommodate 50 people easily and chairs were kept there in the middle. The caregivers were patiently bringing our guests of the event out of their rooms and making them sit in the designated area. The age of the children varied between 7 years to 30years. Some were in wheelchairs, some were reluctant to come out, grown up children were helping the smaller ones, some caregivers were helping to put center table for the cake.
 
 
Soon after the party started, the music was played and to our surprise the quietly sitting children on the chair started dancing to the tunes as if they already know the songs by heart (which was in Hindi). I knew they loved music irrespective of which language it was played in. They just knew how to dance once the music was played.  
 
Our Birthday girl & her friends were equally surprised and confused as I was, they were little reluctant to join guest children in beginning, but eventually every one stepped in. This Made me realize that music is such a powerful tool to diminish the differences and a good time is a good time regardless how individually unique we are. Party and Music went on for about 20 minutes followed by Cake cutting ceremony. Caregivers helped us distributing the food and took care of special guests with so much love and affection.
While driving back I was thinking that, in our ignorance we call these children disabled but they are not disabled, they are differently abled. They might be different from us physically but I couldn’t find any difference when we were all having good time. Just like us they wanted to enjoy music, party and celebrate with us. Their expressive eyes said a lot to me that day. The experience was truly unique and thought provoking.


 
As year 2017 is marked as Year of Giving, I would encourage all the parents to celebrate your special day with Senses. They have different options to suit the needs of all parents. We have somehow taken the life for granted and it is good to once in a while to check our grounds. Also it will teach our next generation to appreciate what we have and be more accepting toward the differently abled. It made me realize that the true happiness is in giving and that happiness comes back to you in different and unexpected ways.

Contact Senses for monetary donations, volunteer for various activities, spend time with children, celebrate your special day with them or sponsor a child. Visit Senses;
http://www.sensescentre.org/
Contact Number: +971-4-394-8765
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parenting tips of Boss Mumma!

My Maid - My Aid - My Lifeline

Difficulties